Friday, February 27, 2009

february critique

My concentration is water, using line and movement.


This first piece of mine is from a picture taken from our field trip to the zoo. It's a reflection of a puddle on wood. Overall, I like how this piece turned out. It took a lot of time but I believe it worked out alright. I like the rings made by the rain/snow drop, and I like the contrast in colors, mostly. One part that bothers me most is the abrupt line on the far left side, even though that is how it was in the picture. The upper right corner also bothers me, and it was difficult to do, so I am open to suggestions to make it better/more realistic. That was most frustrating because that entire side was mostly reflected by water and so it was lighter than the rest of the wood, but still dark. Another part that bothered me was that this piece is more of a 'stand back and look at it' piece, because closer up it's confusing to make out what the painting is of.

My second piece is also from the field trip from the zoo. I took a photo of the horizon line between underwater and above water. The above part was actually underneath a waterfall, as well. I don't like this piece at all, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that I didn't have a lot of time to work on it, given that I spent so much time on my first piece. I plan to go back and finish/improve this one, definitely, so any suggestions help. I think what is most frustrating on this piece is that I don't think it looks at all like it supposed to. I think that if I go back in and add certain details to it, I'd like this piece better, but as of right now, I really do not like it.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

I'm really confused by the second piece. I know your concentration is water, and the description on it makes sense but the piece visually confuses me. The concept is good, but I think the water needs more definition so make the image clearer.

MEGAN RAINBOW BRIGHT :) !!! !!!!!!!! said...

christina-
the first piece works really really well, i can tell you spent a lot of time on the line quality. this is probably one of your best pieces yet!
the second piece i think needs work, maybe just because i wouldn't know what i was looking at if i hadn't read your explanation. maybe you can add the bubbles that formed underneath the waterfall? i took a picture of this too and the bubbles were the most important part. maybe you could show above the water too a little bit so that people know what they're seeing is actually underneath?

lhsap2D0809MeganD said...

It really shows that you put a lot of time and effort into the first piece which unfortunately means there was not much time for the second one. For the second one I think the idea is interesting and maybe all you need to do is detail it and take a little bit more time with it. The first piece had really cool lines in it and I would love to see what the picture looks like to give me a better idea of what you were basing it off of. I also think the way you used value in the first one was very cool. You could tell the white really stood out.

lhsap2D0809KatieO said...

Congrats on your huge win for the reflection piece, you rock!!!!